Bannerghatta Biological Park (BBP) is proud to annouce that that this organisation has been nominated as Institutional
Member of WAZA (World Association of Zoos and Aquariums). The WAZA Membership implies that all members will endeavor to keep a high standard of:
- Husbandry and Veterinary care;
- Participation in coordinated species management programmes;
- Contribution on relevant scientific studies;
- Compliance with national and international legislation;
- Maintenance of animal record systems;
- Environmental education programmes;
- Conservation activities;
- Ethical guidelines; and
- Support of regional and national associations (it is expected that institutions applying for WAZA Membership adhere to a national or regional association where such associations exist).
Some of the major benefits of WAZA Membership are:
- BBP becomes a part of a highly reputed association unifying the leading zoos and aquariums and the most influential
regional zoo associations of the world. The association will link us to the IUCN Network and will lobby on our behalf
at international fora such as CITES, CBD, CMS, RAMSAR, etc.
- BBP is entitled to use the WAZA brand for promoting the institution, association or organization, or conservation
projects carried out or supported by the institution, association or organization.
- BBP is entitled to participate in the Annual Conferences where it will meet the CEO’s or other members as well as
renowned experts in various fields. The Annual Conferences have an attractive technical and social programme.
They take place in different parts of the world, which will allow to experience foreign zoos, aquariums and nature reserves.
- BBP has the opportunity of taking part in the development of new strategies and policies, which will have an
impact on the future development of zoos and aquariums worldwide.
- BBP staffs are invited to attend special meetings which may be organized from time to time, such as the International Zoo Marketing Conferences.
- BBP will receive all publications of WAZA, including WAZA News and WAZA Magazines, and have exclusive access to the member area of
the WAZA website, providing additional services.
- BBP may benefit, within the policies accepted by the association, from the WAZA publications or WAZA website for promoting the institution,
association or organization or conservation projects managed or supported by the institution, association or organization.
The WAZA Executive Office is situated at Gland, Switzerland.
The WAZA assists this Zoo in exhibit standards, acquisition of animals besides at all times, members will act in accordance with all local,
national and international law, and will strive for the highest standards of operation in all matters related to conservation.
Zoo received the communication about the membership on 03/03/2014.